Wednesday 31 July 2013

Just watched: Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Live in NYC..

Evening folks, I watched this great little performance earlier. And White Riot is still ringing around my ears, I always find that to be the case when I listen to it actually. Anyway, it's a TV broadcast from the Roseland Ballroom in New York City, that took place sometime in 1999. No doubt in support of the Mescaleros debut album. It's not the full concert, rather an edited down version (and thrown in for good measure are sporadic, short interview clips with Joe himself). Out of the nine songs here, six are Clash songs, the other three being Mescaleros songs. I always love seeing older Joe perform - it's amazing that he still attacked those Clash classics with the sort of kinetic energy usually found in men twenty years younger than him. I can only imagine what a thrill it would have been to see Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros perform in person. Anyhow, this is another excellent performance, as most of Joe's performances typically were. I've got to say that so far this has been one of my absolute favourite versions of White Riot that I've heard, from either The Clash or the Mescalero. The performance has also given me a new found appreciation for X Ray Style too. I've always liked that song but it wouldn't be one of my favourites on Rock Art & The X Ray Style but that looks set to change. And I found it very interesting to see Joe's crowd interaction here - especially as he deals with ones causing some upset. I'll not spoil it further but if I thought I couldn't love the man more this video just disproves that. A man of the people he was indeed. It makes me sad he's no longer here although quite honestly I feel grateful that there was once a man that walked the earth like Joe Strummer. Just a shame I became a fan ten years too late. I'll spare you the rather sombre reflections though, enjoy this performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment