Sunday 23 June 2013

Sounds of The Week

Evening once again all, because it's Sunday (and today is flying in) it's time for my obligatory sound of the week post. I've got two sounds of the week, both very different and the only tie the two share is that they're both male solo artists. It also is the first time either of these artists have been featured on the blog

This sound of the week isn't a song new to my ears - more a rediscovery. Sometime last year - for whatever reason -  I wanted to listen to So by Peter Gabriel. If memory serves, the reason was simply because I'd read multiple times over that it's one of the best pop albums of the 80s. That's enough reason for me to try an album out. I really liked So, and in particular two songs: Don't Give Up (which featured Kate Bush), and Mercy Street. The latter is the lesser-known of the two. I played it a lot, and was meaning to check out Peter Gabriel's other albums. It never happened, until earlier this week and conversations with my friend made me renew my interest in his other albums. It also made me go back to So and remember how much I loved this song. So far - I've only heard his first album and various other assorted tracks from albums. I liked the first album I guess, as I was expecting it's certainly distinct. I think I might come to really like some of Peter Gabriel's material (I'm particularly loving Biko at the moment too). It'll take repeated plays though because his work does seem like it will be very varied. I do love that though, and his first album certainly has made me keen to explore more. I'll be interested to see what I make of the rest of his work!

The other track is from an album I've been wanting to listen to for some time, but I've only got round to it recently. The track? Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) from What's Going On by Marvin Gaye. I just heard this for the first time at the start of the week. It knocked me out! I've replayed it so many times already. It finally made me listen to What's Going On too. I really liked it, although I've got to re-listen to it again because soul music isn't what I usually listen to. But any song I've ever heard of Marvin Gaye's I've always liked, so I thought it'd be a good idea to try his work out more thoroughly. After all, taking risks is good - it's how I became a fan of Nirvana and Simon & Garfunkel. So far, What's Going On is the only album of his I've heard but I'm going to try and listen to more of his albums this week. I think Let's Get It On will be next. Inner City Blues is quite frankly sublime though, and it still sounds so fresh today. Timeless. If I enjoy more songs by Marvin Gaye as much as I enjoy Inner City Blues, he'll become a firm favourite of mine for sure!

So that's my sound of the week done and dusted. Next week I'll do another one of course, including my albums/songs of the year post as they stand at the moment. After all we're at the midway point of the year (already). I'm off now to watch two episodes of Dexter but I'll try my best and be back later so I can share with you all a delightful documentary I watched earlier. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment