Monday 11 March 2013

Primal Scream - 2013

So, another musical comeback (well sort of) I have to look forward this year is from Primal Scream. These guys are such a great group - never thought they got the respect they deserved. With that in mind I had high hopes for their new single, 2013, which is the first single from their upcoming album More Light (due for release in May). I had read it was one of their best singles so expectations were understandably high. I'm going to be brutally honest: the first time I heard it I didn't like it. I liked the sound of it on the verses but I felt the chorus was a little underwhelming. Truthfully I still think it perhaps could benefit from a slightly stronger hook or something in the chorus but with every play this is growing on me. The verses have got such an enjoyable melody I think. I love the use of saxaphone in the arrangement, its a refreshing change from the saturation of autotune and electro-pop we've been subject to for the past while. The whole song just sounds so damn uplifting which is what I really like about it overall. It's much more accessible (and that's no bad thing) than I expected too. From what I've read about More Light it sounds like quite a psychedelic affair (sprawling even). The only problem? This song will probably get overkilled as the music used in countless end of the year highlight reels come December. Having said that, its a most enjoyable song and I'm very much looking forward to More Light still!

No comments:

Post a Comment