Monday 18 March 2013

On This Day: The Clash release White Riot

An important anniversary today for Clash fans. On this day 36 years ago, they released their first single of a blistering career: I'll be honest: I prefer their later material to their punk stuff (although I still love the punk material). White Riot though I think is one of their best songs. It's straight to the point and intense without any pointless faffing around. The first time I heard this song was about a year ago when I first began investigating The Clash. It blew me away then because its just has such a rousing and passionate feel even though the song predates my existence by 17 years. I can only imagine what the youth of the time felt like upon their first listen. Happy anniversary White Riot!

No comments:

Post a Comment