Wednesday 20 March 2013

Northern Ireland's Musical History: The Clash In Belfast

I'm posting this as today I received my copy of last year's Uncut special magazine devoted solely to The Clash. I had toyed with the idea of getting it at the original time of publication but because I had only just began my investigation of their work at the time I decided against the idea. By the time I had discovered I had gotten really rather into them it was months after the magazine had gone off shelves and I thought it was too late. Thankfully Backstreet Merch rectified that (an excellent and prompt service too, I'd certainly recommend them). Anyhow, I was delighted to see that the magazine included a full article reprinted from a 1977 edition of Melody Maker that saw The Clash roaming the streets of Belfast (where I've lived all my life) following the semi-legendary tale of their gig being cancelled. It's important to remember how different a place Belfast was then and big bands like The Clash playing wouldn't have been commonplace. The pictures taken of the band in Belfast are really rather beautiful - although I am biased, of course - but my favorite is the one I've shared here. You can find more at Urban Images. I just love these images!

No comments:

Post a Comment