Sunday 20 November 2011

Favourite Male Solo Artist: Michael Jackson

This a tad cliché possibly, but for me he really is the King of Pop, despite all the rumours and hearsay that surround his life. I think people (and especially younger people) can forget just how damn good this man was in his prime. I have an embarrassing confession to make: I had started investigating his music more only a few weeks before his untimely death in June 2009 however coming from a family of big MJ fans, I never grew up disliking him. It wasn't a case of suddenly changing views after he had died really. As you could imagine his death was felt rather strongly in our house and not going to deny, there was a few tears shed over it. Musically, my favourite decade from him would have to be 80's, but I also feel his work post Quincy Jones was criminally overlooked bar a few songs that I'm not keen on. His material with his brothers as the Jackson 5 is also very good although having said that I do prefer The Jacksons. Off The Wall is one of my absolute favourite albums ever, seriously, its just so good! In terms of music video's he was an absolute pioneer, I mean I feel Thriller itself needs no introduction on that front. Parts of his career were criminally overlooked though. He remains to this day the most charitable pop star of all time, donating a staggering $350,000,000 to charity! I do wish that was more reported on in the media to be perfectly honest. He was also a very good poetry writer, I would definitely recommend checking out his book called Dancing The Dream to get an essence of the real man. No matter what the media say regard his lifestyle, he is still sorely missed in the pop world. My advice? Never judge a book by its cover, and if you haven't done so already, take some time out to research the real man, you might be surprised!


Honourable mentions:
  • Prince.
  • George Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment